The Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms® is the controlled vocabulary used by APA’s professional indexers to index all of APA’s databases: PsycINFO®, PsycARTICLES®, PsycBOOKS®, PsycEXTRA®, PsycTESTS®, PsycTHERAPY®, and sycCRITIQUES®. With the wide variety of concepts and vocabulary used in the psychological literature, search and retrieval of specific psychological concepts is virtually impossible without the controlled vocabulary of the Thesaurus. It provides a way of structuring the diverse concepts in the field of psychology to assist in the creation of efficient and consistent indexing. The Thesaurus , first published in 1974, has an influential role in research because it reflects the most current trends found in the behavioral and social science literature. The Thesaurus can help authenticate the use of terms as they become accepted nomenclature.
URL OF KNOWLEDGE MODEL:
- Name of Owner: The American Psychological Association
- Name of Developer: Ian Galloway
- Technical Contact: igalloway [at] apa.org
- License Contact: Jan Fleming, jfleming [at] apa.org
HOW IS THIS KM APPLIED?
- Manually | Auto-tagging software | Both
- By Authors | Editorial Staff | Professional indexers
HOW THIS IS KM USED?
- Direct Bibliographic Search | Indirect (e.g., used to expose content resulting from other user actions)
- Display | Grouping of results
- People search | Author profiles | Publication profile
DESCRIPTION OF THE CURRENT USE CASE(S) OF THE KM:
The Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms is currently used primarily to index over 3.7 million records that can be found in PsycINFO.
DESCRIPTION OF FUTURE/POTENTIAL USE CASES OF THE KM (NOT YET REALIZED)
Development of an ontology based on the structure and concepts found in the Thesaurus is currently underway.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN GOALS FOR USING THIS KM?
- Enhance UX
- Increase Search Engine Ranking
- Increase time user spends on site
- Increase traffic
- Increase downloads
RATIONALE FOR KM VS OTHER MEANS OF SEARCHING AND BROWSING?
The sheer volume of APA’s databases means that researchers need a pragmatic and efficient way to discover the precise records they are seeking. The Thesaurus provides the most targeted way find the major concepts within our database records. The Thesaurus has been developed specifically to work with the interdisciplinary nature of the psychological literature. In conjunction with faceted searching, researchers can quickly sift through over 3 million records dating back to the 19th century with confidence.
IS THE KM BEING ACTIVELY DEVELOPED?
Terms of license or link to license terms: http://0-www.apa.org.libcat.lafayette.edu/about/contact/copyright/index.aspx